am soooooooo exited as lets face it nothing could be more healthy that fresh sprouts !!!
so go for it... and their prices are discounted by 5% until tomorrow ( opening offer)
have a great weekend all
GLOSSARY OF SEEDSHere is alphabetical quick-link list of all of the seeds available from Umuthi Sprouting Seeds with brief descriptions.
Just a Reminder: All of the sprouting seeds are suitable for planting in the vegetable garden as well.
- Adzuki Beans (Organic) for Sprouts have a distinctive sweet, nutty flavour, ideal for stir fries and veggie burgers.
- Alfalfa Sprouting Seeds, known as Lucerne in South Africa, are very nutritious, vitamin-rich, freshly green tasting sprouts.
- Apricot Kernels have been used in alternative medicine for many years. Please be cautious with these as they are toxic in quantity.
- Barley Grass Seeds allow you to grow your own baby barley plants for smoothies and barley grass for juicing.
- Beetroot Sprout Seeds have a mild beetroot taste which enhances a mixed salad. They are very attractive as microgreens too.
- Black Lentils (Organic) for sprouting have a slightly nutty/peppery flavour. High in iron and Vitamins A and C.
- Broccoli Sprout Seeds are one of the most nutritious sprouting seeds you can eat, with a spicy flavour ideal for use in salads.
- Celery Seed is often called for in a recipe and can be hard to find. Adds a strong celery flavor in cooking.
- Chick Peas (Organic) for Sprouting have a crunchy textureand a mild flavour, high in fibre and Vitamins A and C.
- Chinese Cabbage Seeds when sprouted offer high levels of Vitamin A and C. Excellent in salads and other Asian dishes.
- Cumin Seed is the pale green seed of Cuminum cyminum, a small herb in the parsley family. Used in cooking.
- Fennel Seed is the oval yellowish-brown dried fruit of Foeniculum vulgare, a member of the parsley family. Used in cooking.
- Fenugreek Sprout Seeds have a spicy curry flavour. High in Vitamins A and C.
- Flaxseeds (Organic Linseed) are very difficult to sprout alone. They can be sprouted when mixed at about 15% in a blend.
- Garlic Chives Seeds (Chinese Leek Seeds) Though it is actually a chive seed, it tastes just like Garlic.
- Green Lentils for Sprouting have a slightly nutty/peppery flavour. High in iron and Vitamins A and C.
- Green Peas for Sprouting are a special type of pea renowned for its sweet taste and visual appearance.
- Japanese Radish Sprouting Seeds produce white stems with a sharp, spicy flavour. They add interest to salads and stir fries.
- Maple Peas for Sprouting also known as Carlin peas have a long history in food. As a sprout they are crunchy and sweet.
- Millet Seed (Organic)
- Mung Beans (Organic Bean Sprout Seeds) are the ever-popular Chinese bean sprouts, high in Vitamin C.
- Mustard Sprout Seeds provide an easy, delicious way to introduce mustard's spicy flavor into your diet.
- Onion Sprouting Seeds produce mild onion flavoured shoots to enhance a mixed salad. These are a red variety of onion.
- Peanuts for Sprouting become a wonderful sweet and crunchy sprout in only three days. Older sprouts become bitter.
- Pigeon Peas also known as toor dal are normally eaten cooked, although they are suitable for sprouting too.
- Pumpkin Seeds (Organic) are one of nature's almost perfect foods, helpful in men's diets as a natural prostate protector.
- Purple Kohlrabi Seed for Sprouting produce interesting bi-colour sprouts and grow into attractive microgreens.
- Quinoa (Organic) is not for sprouting. I provide it here due to popular demand as it is sometimes hard to find.
- Red Cabbage Seeds for Sprouting and Microgreens produce attractive, deep red sprouts that adds colour to salads.
- Red Clover Seeds look like alfalfa sprouts and have a milder, sweet flavor. Rich in phytochemicals.
- Sesame Seeds (Raw) are tiny, flat oval seeds with a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible crunch. Best toasted, not sprouted.
- Soybean Sprout Seeds contain more of the nutrients found in whole soybeans (like edamame and soynuts), good in stir-fries.
- Sunflower Seeds for Sprouting have a mild taste, adding a different texture to a mixed salad. Ready in three days.
- Wheatgrass (Organic) Seed allows you to grow your own baby wheat plants for smoothies and wheatgrass for juicing.
- Wonderbeans (Lupin) have many benefits attributed to them. I make them available due to popular demand.